Vanunu Prison Video Broadcast Irks Supporters
Israeli Free Vanunu Campaign
The International Delegation currently in Israel to welcome Mordechai Vanunu after his release is appalled by the news that an interview videotaped last month with Vanunu at Ashkelon Prison will be broadcast on Israeli television this evening. Without his knowledge or consent, this is the first public media communication to Israel and the world from a man who has been silenced for the past 18 years, the first 11 _ of which were in solitary confinement.
At a visit this afternoon with Mordechai Vanunu, American adoptive parents Nick and Mary Eoloff said he told them he did not give his permission for the tape to be used for broadcast, and was not told that was the intent. He was told it was a routine procedure for prisoners nearing release.
The International Campaign to Free Vanunu continues to stand with Mordechai Vanunu in condemnation of nuclear weapons and all weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East and around the world. We continue to look for a free and open debate on the more than 200 Israeli thermonuclear weapons his revelations exposed 18 years ago.
An international delegation, comprised of over 80 individuals from a dozen countries, will join together with Israelis at Ashkelon Prison when Mordechai Vanunu walks out of the prison gate on April 21, 2004.
The delegation will begin a vigil at Ashkelon Prison in anticipation of Vanunu's release at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20, and will be joined by others at 3 p.m. A press conference will be held across the street from the prison at 5 p.m. The delegates who will be speaking at the press conference are marked below with an asterisk. (*) In addition, Gideon Spiro of the Israeli Committee for Mordechai Vanunu and for a Middle East Free of Atomic, Biological and Chemical Weapons and Issam Makhoul, Member of Knesset will speak.
Restrictions to be faced by Mordechai Vanunu on release:
Mordechai Vanunu will face many restrictions on his release from Ashkelon Prison, so many that his new freedom will be seriously compromised.
" It is absolutely disgraceful that these restrictions are being imposed on a man who has finished his 18 year sentence, has no charges to face, and has suffered so much already" said Rayna Moss of the Israeli Free Vanunu Campaign.
These draconian restrictions have been imposed under the emergency regulations passed by the British mandate of 1945.
1. Vanunu will have to register to live in an Israeli city of his choice.
2. He will have to give notice to the authorities if he wishes to travel to another city.
3. He will not be allowed to leave Israel for 6 months. This restriction will be reviewed at the end of 6 months and could be renewed.
4. He will not be allowed to contact foreigners either by phone or in person.
5. It is unclear whether his American adoptive parents, who have been allowed to visit him while in custody, will be allowed to speak to him when free.
6. He will not be allowed to go within 100 meters of any embassy, visit any port of entry, come within 300 meters of any international boundary and he may not be allowed to worship in a church of his choice.
International Noteworthy Delegates
Nick and Mary Eoloff: Mordechai Vanunu's adoptive parents since 1997, from St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
* Mairaed Maguire: Irish Nobel Peace Prize Laureate in 1976 for her work towards building peace in Northern Ireland and founder member of the Peace People. Present in Israel with a delegation from Belfast and Dublin.
Reverend Ed Browning: Retired Bishop Episcopal Church, USA
Felice Cohen-Joppa: Coordinator, U.S. Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu. Tucson, Arizona, USA
* Jeremy Corbyn: Labour Party Member of Parliament. Vice chair of House of Commons Human Rights Committee. Active in supporting many civil liberty and international peace causes. Longtime supporter of the Campaign to Free Vanunu. G.B.
Bruce Kent: Past chairman of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, present vice chairman. Member of the International Peace Bureau, tireless peace campaigner. Trustee of Campaign to Free Vanunu. G.B.
* Susannah York: International actor, well known from Hollywood films, theatre, radio and T.V., supporter of human rights causes and Trustee of Campaign to Free Vanunu. G.B.
Art Laffin: Associate coordinator, U.S. Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu, Washington, D.C., USA. Member of the Catholic Worker Movement.
Barry Roth: Psychiatrist, peace and anti-nuclear activist, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
* Colin Breed : Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament. Active supporter of peace campaigns and long time supporter of Mordechai Vanunu in the House of Commons. G.B.
Ben Birnberg: Internationally known Civil Liberties and Human Rights Lawyer. Trustee of Campaign to Free Vanunu. G.B.
Ernest Rodker: Coordinator, British Campaign to Free Vanunu
Fredrik S. Heffermehl: lawyer, writer, translator and political organizer, Honorary President of the Norwegian Peace Alliance, Vice President of the International Peace Bureau, Vice President of the International Association of Lawyers against Nuclear Arms, and other organizations, Norway
Pat Arrowsmith: Active in Campaign Against Nuclear Weapons since 1950's. One of the organizers of the first Aldermaston march and involved in many demonstrations against military bases involving arrest and imprisonment. Active in the Campaign to Free Vanunu. G.B.
Ole Kopreitan: executive director, Nei til atomvaapen (No to Nuclear Arms), longtime Vanunu campaigner, Norway.